Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dinner Time?

So we have been having a hard time getting Bronson to eat his dinner lately. He seems to go through this everyone once in a while. I am not sure if he is trying to test us or what. I don't make him eat every thing on his plate, but I think he at least needs to try the food and we usually ask him to take 4 bites since that is how old he is. I don't think we are asking to much of him, but sometimes he gets his mind set that he doesn't want to eat dinner and he doesn't budge - stubborn fellow, wonder where he gets that from. We have tried different punishments, but nothing seems to work. So I saw on Super Nanny not to long ago that she made a little girl sit at the table until she ate her dinner or until it was bedtime, so we thought we would try it out. This past week I made a broccoli and chicken casserole - he loves both of the main ingredients so I didn't think there would be a problem, but something about blending them together repulses him and he wanted nothing to do with it. Below are pictures of him about one hour into it. He was out cold for about a half hour. I couldn't help but laughing and of course I had to grab the camera. After he woke up he had a bit of a meltdown, but then decided he would eat some of the food so he could get down and play. We were kind enough to separate the chicken and broccoli - how dare they be touching - and he ate 4 bites of each. So the punishment seemed to work, and was quite entertaining. Thanks Supper Nanny!




5 comments:

Linds said...

oh that is hilarious. One time Jeff's dad made him sit at the table for like 6 hours until he ate his peas. he finally did and threw up all over. Now that's stubborn! Anyways, I like the idea and am going to use it some time!

Jon said...

Good luck! I had a nutrition instructor at BYU who always said, kids won't starve to death by refusing to eat what they're given. If they don't have it for dinner, its warmed for breakfast. We feel your pain!

Melissa DeMoux said...

Very cute, hope this phase doesn't last too long, but we feel your pain. All of our kids have done this from time to time. Thankfully, as they get older, they seem to reason things out better and fight about it less (at least so far). Good luck.

The Gag-nears said...

dude. Love this idea. Ryan and Lily both have a hard time with this. Ryan will start gagging and lily will cry. It's horrible. But I will try this idea. I'll let you know...

Unknown said...

This is so cute and so hilar. My kids FREAK when things are mixed too. We also do the eat however many bites you are old. :) Seems to work, but I will have to try the Super Nanny trick.